In May 15’s LIVE Happy Hour, we explore lessor known regional producers of wine, cook up a childhood favorite and mix sweet martinis.
Download the printable recipes here.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tarts
Yield: 8 each
375 degrees 15-20 minutes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
8 ounces butter
1/4 cup + 2 TBLS ice water
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cube up butter *must be coldbutter* and mix into the dry a few pieces at a time.
- Continue mixing on low until the butter has broken down into pea size amounts and the mixture appears crumbly.
- Slowly stream in the cold water and mix only until combined.
- Knead the dough into a block and wrap. Let refrigerate for at least 15-20 minutes.
Brown Sugar Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
2 TBLS all purpose flour
2 tsp cinnamon
3 TBLS butter, melted
- Combine all of the above ingredients in a bowl and set aside until the pie dough is ready.
- Roll pie dough on a floured surface, roll to about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut even rectangles out, whatever size you prefer. Yield will be different depending on the size.
- Place the first layer of the pie dough rectangles on a sheet tray. Have it lined with parchment.
- Egg wash each bottom layer of pie dough. (Egg wash- 1 egg plus a splash of milk or water, whisked together)
- Place a scoop of the brown sugar filling and spread onto the pie dough, leaving the edges exposed in order to seal. *amount of filling varies based on the size of the rectangles— enough to fill the pop tart but not too much otherwise it will come out of the sides when baking*
- Place the second layer of pie dough on top of each pop tart and seal the edges. Press lightly to seal and then follow the edges with a fork.
- Poke a few holes in the top of the pop tart with the fork. Then egg wash the entire top of the pop tart.
- Place in the oven (preheated to 375) and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on bottom.
- While baking, make the glaze to go on top.
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1-2 TBLS milk
Cinnamon to taste
- Whisk the above ingredients together to desired consistency.
- Once the pop tarts have completelycooled (very important) go ahead and glaze the tops of them.
- Let the icing fully set before wrapping or storing them.
*best enjoyed warmed up and with some whipped cream*
- Vale Do Bomfim – Douro – Portugal
- Aruma Malbec – Mendoza Argentina
- Barossa Valley Estate – Cabernet Sauvignon Australia
Lemon Drop Martini
- 2oz lemon / citrus vodka
- 5 oz fresh lemon juice
- 5 oz simple syrup
- .5 oz Grand Marnier
Key Lime Pie Martini
- 2oz vanilla vodka
- .5 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz cream of coconut
- .5 oz midori
- 1 oz pineapple juice
- .5 oz liqueur 43
***Graham cracker rim***